Monday, January 26, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

I'm ashamed to admit that I have a weakness for vampire and/or werewolf books/movies. I'll blame that little addiction on "Scooby Doo" cartoons and "The Haunted Mansion" read-and-hear books from the 70's. I first read Anne Rice's classic "Interview With A Vampire" as a senior in high school and became an instant fan. I relish a good romantic drama, but with enough hard edges to make it believable in an escape-from-reality sort of way. So when the new "Underworld" movie came out, I convinced my non-supernatural loving husband to take me to see it. And joy upon joy, it had Vampires AND Werewolves. I was hoping we would not see anyone we knew in the theater and I kept peering over my shoulder while in line for tickets, not for a vampire mind-you but an acquaintance who might just ask "what movie are ya'll seeing tonight?". The movie was pretty good, great special effects and a non-campy plot. There is nothing like a big, greasy, pissed-off werewolf who is hell-bent on revenging his beloved's death to grab my attention. Better than a comfy couch, a bag of doritos and a large diet soda. This movie won't win any awards, but the character's plight provided a much needed time-out from my own.
Bon Appetite!

No comments: